In 2009, Christ the King established a sister parish relationship with Corpus Christi Parish in Jalchatra, Bangladesh. Corpus Christi is also staffed by priests and religious from the Congregation of Holy Cross, and it serves the people of the Garo tribe in northern Bangladesh. Corpus Christi Parish encompasses 25 villages and serves about 8,000 Catholics. Their ministries include:
- Liturgy: Daily Mass; sacramental preparation; religious education for adults and children; retreats for adults, youth, and teachers
- Education: 15 primary schools, 2 junior high schools, and 1 high school, plus several vocational training programs
- Economic Development Initiatives: Credit union; economic development seminars; small farm loans
- Health Care Initiatives: primary health care; midwife training and antenatal care; AIDS seminar; programs to improve drinking water
- Social Initiatives: youth conferences; social leadership seminars; Justice & Peace Committee (assisting people whose right to keep their tribal lands is being threatened)
Through this sister parish relationship, we often raise funds to support the work of Holy Cross at Corpus Christi Parish. We strive to build a relationship that goes beyond fundraising, however—a mutual relationship where our two parishes can grow in faith by learning about each other. We work with various parish and school groups on projects—Giving Tree during Advent and Fish Fry during Lent, for example—that deepen our relationship with Corpus Christi Parish.
“As disciples of Jesus we stand side by side with all people. Like them we are burdened by the same struggles and beset by the same weaknesses; like them we are made new by the same Lord's love; like them we hope for a world where justice and love prevail. Thus, wherever through its superiors the congregation sends us we go as educators in the faith to those whose lot we share, supporting men and women of grace and goodwill everywhere in their efforts to form communities of the coming kingdom.” —Constitutions of the Congregation of Holy Cross (2.12)
Prayer for Our Sister Parish
Heavenly Father, you sent your only Son to be our Savior, and through Him, you unite people throughout the world into one universal Church. Our parish family at Christ the King asks you to bless our sister parish, Corpus Christi Parish in Jalchatra, Bangladesh. May our relationship with Corpus Christi help us all to grow in holiness so that we might make you known, loved, and served among all peoples. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.